ASPB supports five geographical sections across North America and two interest-based sections. Each has its own in-person meetings and events, as well as a network on Plantae.org. See here for details about sections, and contact us to learn more about sponsoring a program in conjunction with a particular section. Contact us to inquire about a specific section or learn more about all of the sections.
SURF Fellowships help undergraduate students from the across the U.S. and abroad participate in immersive plant biology research experiences over ten consecutive weeks during the summer break period.
This program has been operating since the 1980s, making more than 100 awards over the years. It offers a valuable opportunity to recruit and engage the next generation of plant science leaders early in their research careers. Each fellowship provides a stipend, an allowance for materials and supplies, and a travel award to support the fellow’s attendance and presentation of their research at ASPB’s annual Plant Biology meeting in the year following their SURF experience. Each cohort of SURF fellows enjoys a dedicated networking activity during the annual meeting.
- Ability to focus on a particular interest or research area
- Provides registration for an early career scientist (students, post-docs, faculty) and some funds towards travel
- May select the awardee from among a pool identified by ASPB leaders
- Meet/Greet Coffee with awardees
- Logo on event signage
- Recognition on ASPB website