Plant Day 2017 Contest Rules
ASPB #PlantDayUSA 2017 Photo & Video Contest and Raffle
Raffle Contest Rules
Organize an education or outreach event in your community for Fascination of Plants Day. Events may take place on May 18 or throughout the month of May 2017. Complete a short event registration form (Download now) and submit your event by May 14, 2017 (11:59 PM EST) to email@example.com to be entered into the raffle.
- All submissions for Fascination of Plants Day events must be received by May 14, 2017 (11:59 PM EST).
- Raffle will be conducted randomly and the raffle winner will be announced on May 18, 2017.
- One $300 prize will be awarded by check or wire to the adult contact for the winning submission after all contact information is confirmed and by December 31, 2017. Winner must submit a photo of their event to be eligible for the prize. The event may be conducted on May 18, 2017 or throughout the month of May (May 1 – 31, 2017).
- Event organizers must reside full-time in the United States or US territories.
Photo and video submissions for the #PlantDayUSA contest will be accepted until May 14, 2017 (11:59 PM EST). Winners will be announced on May 18, 2017.
Photo Contest Rules
Three prizes will be awarded to the most liked photos on both Facebook and Twitter. Facebook submissions must be made to the ASPB Facebook page. Facebook and Twitter submissions must include the hashtag #PlantDayUSA. Prizes will include one $150 prize, one $100 prize, and one $50 prize.
- Photos must be submitted on social media using the hashtag #PlantDayUSA by May 14, 2017 (by 11:59 PM EST).
- Photos must be original and submitted by or on behalf of the photographer and with the photographer’s direct consent.
- The winning photos must be accompanied by technical information and a statement about why the photo inspired the photographer. Statement must be 500 words or less.
- Prizes will be awarded by check or wire to the adult contact for the winning submission after all photo and contact information is confirmed and by December 31, 2017.
- ASPB employees and their immediate families are not eligible to participate.
- In the unlikely event of a tie, the cash prize will be split among the winners.
- Any tax implications will be the responsibility of the winner. The winner agrees to supply to contest organizer American Society of Plant Biologists any necessary tax information to process the payment.
- All submitted photos will be freely available to anyone under a Creative Commons 4.0 International license. Contest organizers may refuse or reject any images with copyright details that are unclear to the organizers.
- The winning submissions may be shared via the contest organizers’ media streams after the contest ends; proper credit will be included. Approved submissions will be uploaded to a public digital image library; proper credit will be included.
- American Society of Plant Biologists (ASPB) and its associates and supporting organizations will do their best to run the contest in a fair and efficient manner, but they assume no responsibility for any direct or indirect losses or consequences you may incur in participating in this contest. ASPB may modify the contest rules and operating procedures, to insure the competition is fair and effective.
- Adults must submit on behalf of minors.
- By entering the contest, the submitter certifies that the photo is original and does not infringe on copyright laws.
- Winning photos must be 300 dpi or better so they are suitable for print media as well as for use in online channels.
- Winning photographers must agree to the full Terms & Conditions (below) which includes assigning the copyright to unrestricted public domain.
- Photographers must reside full-time in the United States or US territories.
The primary organizing body of the international Fascination of Plants Day and any of its National Coordinators are in no way responsible for creating or enforcing this contest’s rules, evaluating images, approving or clearing copyright on any images, dispensing funds, or archiving images.
Video Contest Rules
Create a YouTube Video for a chance to win First Prize: $150 or Second Prize: $100
- Videos are intended for the public and do not have to set up viewer mastery of technical terms or procedures. They should elucidate, inspire and promote interest in plant biology in an entertaining, compelling or humorous way. Videos may also be education for conveying specific or specialized information in a manner useful to a non-specialist learner e.g. for use in K-16 classes or informal education settings.
- Maximum video length is three (3) minutes. YouTube also restricts the file size and file type that may be uploaded. YouTube supports High Def (1280 x 720) resolution, which we highly recommend.
- For each video entry, you must make sure you add the following to information on YouTube:
- Add the tag #PlantDayUSA to the Video Information on YouTube.
- Include somewhere in the video description this metadata: the web address www.aspb.org, #PlantDayUSA, and the creator name(s).
- Videos must be original and submitted by or on behalf of the creator and with the creator’s direct consent. Adults must submit on behalf of minors. More than one entry per person is permitted.
- Videos must be uploaded and available on YouTube no later than 11:59 pm (local time zone) on May 14, 2017. You must also submit the online entry form by the same deadline.
- Videos must be new and first uploaded to YouTube on or after March 14, 2017. Videos that were on YouTube at any time prior to this date are not eligible (this restriction includes any versions that are substantially the same as the entry).
- Videos must be publicly accessible on YouTube until at least December 31, 2017 and preferably in perpetuity.
Contact: Natalie Henkhaus, Fascination of Plants Day USA National Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)