ASPB Ambassador Program
This program was originally launched in 2006 with the aim to outreach ASPB’s mission and membership to the postdoc, graduate and undergraduate student community. This goal was expanded to include greater outreach to plant scientists in industry settings in 2011 and expanded again in 2015 to include outreach to plant scientists in other settings.
What Ambassadors do:
- Educate upcoming and new plant scientists about the importance of belonging to a professional society to enhance their career and be part of continuing the efforts of plant biology research.
- Expand ASPB’s membership base of younger constituents and industry scientists to ensure continued growth of the community.
- Act as a liaison between the Governance of ASPB and the plant science community.
- Act as a representative of ASPB to the plant science community, the general science community and the public at large.
- Organize and execute local outreach activities to educate scientists about ASPB and the general public about the importance of plant biology
- Gain leadership and organizational skills by working independently and together to accomplish the goals of the ambassador program.
- Gain networking connections by communicating with other Ambassadors, scientists and ASPB member.
Benefits of being an Ambassador:
- Provides enhanced networking opportunities.
- Gives you a voice in the governing bodies of the Society, including the inclusion of at least 2 Ambassadors at the summer Membership Committee meetings .
- Develop leadership skills
- Gain experience with outreach
- Increased exposure in the plant science community
The ambassadors will be given tools and opportunities to fulfill the goals of the Ambassador program. In order to remain an Ambassador, Ambassadors will be required to participate in at least 2 activities each year that meet one of the goals and every Ambassador will submit a one to two page report at the end of the year detailing the activities they participated in as an Ambassador during the past year and what activities they have planned for the upcoming year.
Those wanting to be an Ambassador must be a current member when they apply and Ambassadors agree to maintain their memberships for as long as they are Ambassadors. Applications will be reviewed on a quarterly basis at the end of March, June, September and December each year and responses will be sent by the 15th of the following month.