Open to exceptional undergraduate and graduate students studying plant biology, the ASPB Conviron Scholars program delivers an experience intended to serve as a foundation for a career in plant science. Applications welcome from any country. Students who apply to the program must be in good academic standing (verified by their Pl or department head) and must demonstrate a commitment to plant science. For the 2017 program, a total of 20 students will be chosen to participate in the ASPB Conviron Scholars program.
Apply online – Deadline to complete the application is August 11.
This program includes:
- 1-year membership in ASPB, the professional society for plant biologists. This gives you online access to The Plant Cell, Plant Physiology, and Teaching Tools in Plant Biology, among many other things
- Free registration to one ASPB regional section meeting
- Discounted registration to the Plant Biology Annual Meeting
- Individual Virtual mentoring/resume review session with an established plant science professional
- Private online group network for ongoing discussions and Q&A
- Opportunities for exposure to plant biologists who have taken different career tracks, including university research, industry, conservation and plant protection, agronomy, publications, policy, education, and outreach, etc.
- A hands-on virtual learning program that includes career seminars, round-table discussions, and workshops that help develop skills for success. Topics could include:
- Career Planning for Plant Scientists
- Developing your online persona: Channels, Tools, Approach
- Writing skills
- Ask me anything with Plant Scientists with different career paths: Industry, Consultants, Communications, etc.
- Ask me anything with ASPB President, President-elect, or immediate Past President
- Round-table Discussions: Topics decided by the group
- Publishing workshops
- Opportunity to submit an article to the ASPB blog for editorial feedback and support, with the possibility of publication
- Opportunity to present a poster at the Plant Biology meeting
- A copy of the book Career Planning for Research Bioscientists
Participants will receive a certificate of completion after one year of successful participation, including:
- Attending at least four hands-on virtual learning activities
- Contributing at least one blog post/article to the ASPB blog
- Volunteering at least one education/outreach event
- Participating in at least one virtual mentoring session
Apply online. Applications open June 24, 2017, for the inaugural class. Deadline to complete applications (including reference letters) is August 11, 2017.
Applications must include:
- 2 references – one must be your current PI or professor. Other must be able to speak to your academic or professional experience
- Brief essay on why you have chosen to study plant science
- Brief essay on your plant science career goals
- Brief statement of career and educational experiences
- Brief statement of volunteer experiences
Applicants must also agree that if accepted, they will provide a bio and photo within ten days that may be used by ASPB or Conviron for promotional purposes.
Questions? Feel free to send us an email if you have questions.
BIG THANKS TO CONVIRON FOR MAKING THIS PROGRAM POSSIBLE.
Established in 1964, Conviron is the world leader in the design, manufacture and installation of controlled environment systems for plant science research. Conviron’s reach-in plant growth chambers, walk-in rooms and Argus Control Systems (a Conviron Company) provide precise, uniform, and repeatable control of temperature, light, humidity, CO2, and other environmental conditions. www.conviron.com